Buckman Bridge UU Church 2013-2014
The BBUUC Social Action Committee reviews, endorses, and helps to facilitate projects with Social Action content that BBUUC groups bring to the committee.
Long term partnership commitment:
As a result of member investigation and commitment, The Social Action committee coordinated the writing of an application to the Unitarian Universalist Fund for Social Responsibility for a Matching Grant for one year’s membership dues for ICARE. The grant was awarded in December 2013 and it was matched quickly by members. 2014-2015 will be the first membership year. See ICARE website for ICARE information. http://icarejax.org/
- Coordinating UU participation in the Jacksonville Martin Luther King Parade with the UU Church of Jacksonville.
- With the leadership of the BBUUC Welcoming Congregation, participated in the River City Pride Parade and the Gay Pride Festival.
- Sponsored a table at Earth Day along with the BBUUC CUUPS group.
- Coordinating a Social Action table on Sundays to share local, regional or national social justice items of interest with the congregation.
- In 2013-14 this included providing a collection for the JASMYN alternative prom; the Food/Personal Care Pantry coordinated by the Young Adults group; and the Eyeglass/Cell Phone collection coordinated by Beacon.
- Coordinating a “Giving Tree” at Christmas for gifts for children of the First Haitian-American church of Jacksonville. In return, the children’s choir of FHACCJax sang in our worship service on December 7 and attended our religious education classes that day.
- Supporting Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) by promoting Fair trade products as well as teach about UUSC
- Several members of the congregation started an emergency food pantry that has helped several families in need in the neighborhood.
- Facilitating a Social Justice Sunday every year – the 2014 theme was food security.
- The Welcoming Congregation also sponsors a monthly movie series at BBUUC featuring movies that lift up various aspects of gay rights, particularly in relation to religion.